Mary Elizabeth Rollason, the eldest of nine children of Richard John Rollason and Lucy (nee Evans) was born 25 September 1879 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Her mother was a member of the LDS Church and the girls of the family were also members.

Peter Christensen was in Brisbane, possibly on missionary service, when they met and became engaged. Mary left her family and went with Peter to Salt Lake City where they married on the 7 April 1904. She remained a member of the LDS and died in 1966.Mary remained close to her family and wrote regularly of her life.

I have been lucky enough to inherit some of these communications to her mother, Lucy, sister Violet and niece Myrtle who was my grandmother. Postcard collecting was popular as they were pretty and showed scenes of the times. and all three women collected Mary’s postcards into albums. In these, there are mentions of letters and postcards to the other members of her family, who remained in Brisbane and the news was shared between the family.

I'd like to share them with you.

Sunday 4 September 2011

Thousand Springs Idaho



Thousand Springs Idaho: No Date

Dear Violet,
Well I received your letter yesterday, glad to hear from you. We are all well at this time. I hope you are now all over your attack of Dengue fever by now. I still notice you have the same but the last letter I wrote to you I sent home to Mother. I am glad the wages are some higher than they used to be but I daresay they put the price up of everything now. Things are high enough here. 

Eggs are 10 pence a dozen, butter 1/0 a 1/2lb. Eggs don’t go much lower than they are now. Glad to hear the Mount Gravatt folks are pretty well. Well that is good to think that Mother’s leg is healing well but it will be better for her to wear the bandages than to have it break open again. 

Yes Sophie Dommett is a long time writing.   

Dear Violet, you say we could stay at your home if we came back but something I heard makes me think we would not be wanted. I heard some of the Elders were tracting up Red Hill and the Rollasons would have nothing to so with them . That looks like you may feel that way to us. How would you like it if Peter was called on a Mission there? How would you view us all then? 

Your loving sister Mary E Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment